Consumer Mediation

Who can file a complaint with the Consumers' Council?

CAC provides services to Cape Cod and the Islands consumers, visitors, businesses and consumers who have complaints with a Cape Cod or Islands business. Attention is given to the elderly, people with disabilities, those with language barriers, and all others without regard to income

What types of complaints does the Consumers' Council receive?

Complaints typically involve automobile repairs and sales, home improvement, debt collection and credit problems, shopping rights, and landlord/tenant disputes

What happens after I file a complaint?

CAC offers a free mediation service, where we contact the consumer and the business to try to come to a resolution of the dispute. Since it is a voluntary resolution process, the business is not under an obligation to participate. It is the role of the mediator to facilitate communication between the business and the consumer to see if a resolution regarding the dispute can be reached. If our mediation efforts are not successful, the consumer will be offered guidance on other ways to possibly resolve the dispute. Generally, the process can take anywhere from 4 weeks to 6 months depending on the complexity of the case and the availability of the parties involved.